There are times in your life when you feel deep within your heart that something feels right. It is a feeling deep within you that feeds your heart with happiness. It is a feeling that you believe in, no matter how difficult, no matter how demanding something may be, you know that it is right. You know you have to follow your heart.


Saturday, October 16, 2010

October is Down Syndrome Awareness Month!!

It was not that many years ago that individuals with Down Syndrome in America were given up at birth and put in institutions where the would have no room to grow and mature as a person.  I believe that people did this out of fear of the unknown, fear of their child not being accepted by not only their family and friends, but in society. People in America have come a long way in the acceptance of individuals in society. There is still a lot of ridicule that goes on, as I have witnessed it firsthand.  But I truly feel as though it is from a lack of education, and understanding of people with Downs. 

What I want everyone to know about people with Downs. They have a lot of unconditional love to give. They have all the same dreams as everyone else. Playing on the school basketball team, going to dances, having a job, making money, falling in love and getting married, and everything in between. Every day of my life, I am aware, and I in tune and work hard to give Nicholas all the opportunities that I feel as though everyone in the world deserves. He is a special kid who like every child deserves the best in life. 

It breaks my heart that there are hundreds of kids with Down Syndrome and other disabilities living in orphanages throughout the world. Places where there are laying rooms, where the kids are rarely held, and soothed. Places where kids do not have the chances that Nicholas will have, or the other kids he is friends with. 

My dream is not only to have the chance to give Vika a home. But a dream that someday people throughout the world will have the same love and acceptance for people with Down Syndrome that people in America have. I believe that this acceptance through the testimonial of adoption. Please support me, and help raise awareness of people with Downs throughout the world.

All the love to give..

No comments:

Post a Comment